Cooking Level: Beginner
Vegan Creamy Coconut Raw Oats
(Featuring Cashews and Dates)
Raw overnight oats are my go to breakfast at least a few times a week. They don’t require much time in the morning so that I can quickly grab and go. These raw oats follow a similar concept however require an additional quick step in the morning using a blender. This step makes all the difference in making these oats extremely creamy. They are extremely indulgent (that is an understatement) therefore sticking to 1 serving size is key to prevent over consuming calories. Sweetness in this recipe comes from dates meaning there is no added sugar what so ever. You can adjust this recipe as well by adding some flax or chia seeds for additional omega 3s.
A mouthful of these oats is insanely:
Dates: Make sure your dates are juicy. For this recipe fresh medjool dates will work. I use Whole Foods brand found in the fridge, but Trader Joe’s has incredibly fresh ones as well.
Milk: Unsweetened coconut milk is a must here since that’s what gives these overnight oats their coconut flavor. You can try substituting with a milk of your choice but you might need to add coconut flakes instead to achieve coconut flavor.
Coconut Oil: I prefer to use unrefined which is extra coconut-y in taste however refined will do just as well so don’t go out of your way to purchase.
Oats: Thick oats must be used in this recipe for texture. I use Red Mill Thick Rolled Oats which are my favorite in any overnight recipe.
Recipe makes: 4 servings
1 cup thick rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup cashews
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon himalayan salt
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 TBS coconut oil
Optional: 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1. Soak your cashews in water overnight.
2. In a small bowl, mix oats with coconut milk and let sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight.
3. In a high speed blender, blend together drained cashews, dates, vanilla extract, salt, coconut milk, and coconut oil until smooth. Add a tablespoon or two of coconut milk if cream is too thick.
4. In a medium container, mix overnight oats with coconut cream.
5. Optional: Fold in coconut flakes.
6. Store in fridge for up to 3 days.
Calories per serving:
Oats w/o coconut flakes: 370 kcal
Oats w/ coconut flakes: 400 kcal