Baking Level: Beginner
Vegan Lemon Cake Muffins
(Featuring avocado oil and cashew yogurt)
This is my very first post and my Sunday morning wouldn’t be complete without baking one of my favorite recipes. I occasionally make vegan lemon cakes and muffins when I crave something sweet and refreshing. You will completely love these light, fluffy, and perfect for warm weather lemon muffins. They are obviously vegan and super simple to make with just a few ingredients. I used avocado oil and cashew yogurt for moisture so go ahead and indulge in these healthy fats!
Lets get started on these muffins! They are perfectly:
Salt: I prefer to use Himalayan or sea salt over kosher or table salt for added minerals and lower sodium chloride content.
Sugar: There will be no difference in taste whether you use raw cane sugar or coconut sugar.
Zest: Always opt in to zest organic lemons instead of conventional to avoid wax in your product.
Vanilla extract: I like to use organic as it is higher quality and doesn’t have as much alcohol aroma as non-organic.
Recipe makes: 12 muffins
Serving size: 1 muffin
2 cups (250 g) unbleached wheat white flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt or sea salt
1/2 cup raw cane sugar or coconut sugar
Zest of one large organic lemon
1/2 cup + 2 TBS avocado oil
1 TBS & 2 tsp water
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
1 cup plain unsweetened cashew yogurt (Forager)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 TBS lemon juice
1-2 tsp water (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 325 F (160 C). Use a 12 count muffin tin of standard size and grease lightly with avocado oil.
2. Sift the flour then combine with baking powder baking soda, salt, sugar and lemon zest. Mix very well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together avocado oil, water, vanilla extract, cashew yogurt, and lemon juice. Mix very well.
4. Pour wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Avoid overmixing at all costs.
5. Use a 1/4 C measuring spoon and divide batter evenly between muffin tins.
6. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for about 20 minutes in the pan, and then remove to cool on a cooling rack.
7. If drizzling, Whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Add water if consistency is too thick, and brush or drizzle cooled muffins.
8. Store in an airtight container for up to five days.
Calories per serving:
Drizzled Muffin: 240 kcal
Plain Muffin: 220 kcal