Baking Level: Beginner
Vegan Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
(Featuring chia seeds and coconut oil)
Today I was craving something sweet that is quick and easy to make with ingredients I had on hand. My vegan chocolate chips arrived so I used them to make this better for you and gluten free cookie. Since I ran out of flax seeds, I experimented with chia seeds and discovered an ultimate combination of crunchy and chewy goodness that is great for breakfast and dessert. Chocolate chip cookies are great because you can make your own variation of them with nuts and seeds. For this particular batch I chose to throw in oatmeal. I’m sure you’re fully aware of my obsession with it already.
These cookies are exceptionally:
Chocolate chips: I love dark chocolate morsels by Enjoy Life that can be purchased online. They are extremely rich and don’t lose form while baking. The thing that got me though, was the ingredient list which is unsweetened chocolate and cane sugar. (I know right!)
Chia Seeds: I used black chia seeds however if you don’t want them showing in your cookie, use the white one.
Flour: I used gluten free flour blend for Red Mill’s. Oat flour will work here as well.
Maple syrup: I use medium amber to ensure that maple flavor doesn’t pierce through. If you want to taste it, use dark amber.
Recipe makes: 20 cookies
Serving size: 2 cookies
1 cup oats
1 cup gluten free flour blend
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp himalayan salt
2 TBS chia Seeds + 3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup + 2 TBS melted coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup vegan dark chocolate chips
1. In a small bowl, make chia seed pudding out of chia seeds and water. Let sit for about 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray or grease baking sheet with oil.
3. In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix very well.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together coconut oil, chia seed pudding, maple syrup and vanilla.
5. Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix until just combined.
6. Fold in chocolate chips.
7. Scoop about 2 TBS of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet using a cookie scoop. Flatten cookies just a little on the baking sheet.
8. Bake for about 10-12 minutes. Let cool. Hold well in an air tight container for 5 days.
Two cookies: 270 kcal