Baking Level: Intermediate
Vegan Pistachio Rose Cake
(Featuring spinach and coconut oil)
My pistachio lovers, this is the cake for you! Many pistachio cakes out there call for pistachio flavoring or pistachio extract. Not Martusia style! My style of cake will burst in pistachio flavor without any additives. It is made with healthy fats from coconuts, pistachios, and cashews. It’s green color comes from hidden spinach. Your kids will never know! Plus, I always like to get whole grains into my recipes so that you can have a slice for breakfast too.
Let’s get this "breakfast" started! This cake is:
Not Too Sweet
Easy To Make
Flour: I used some whole wheat flour in this recipe to sneak in some whole grains however all purpose flour alone will suffice.
Coconut oil: Refined and unrefined oil can be used. Unrefined will not make the cake taste like coconut.
Milk: I used cashew for its thickness however unsweetened almond milk can be used as well.
Recipe makes: 1 cake
Serving size: 1/8 cake
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup unsalted pistachios (w/o shell)
1 cup spinach
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp rose water
1/2 cup coconut sugar
3/4 cup cashew milk
1/2 cup cashew milk
1 TBS apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup crushed pistachios
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp almond extract
2 TBS cashew milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a medium size tin with coconut oil.
2. Sift and mix together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
3. Place apple cider vinegar in cashew milk and whisk until curdled.
4. In a blender or food processor, grind pistachios into a powder. Then, add coconut oil, vanilla and almond extract, rose water, and blend for 30 seconds. Add the spinach, coconut oil, cashew milk and blend until smooth.
5. Add apple cider vinegar mixture to the spinach mixture. Then add the dry ingredients and gently fold until just combined.
6. Spread evenly into the pan and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.
8. For the topping, combine powdered sugar with almond extract and slowly add cashew milk to achieve desired consistency.
9. Coat cooled cake with icing and sprinkle with crushed pistachios.
Calories per serving:
Cake with icing and nuts: 330 cal
Plain cake: 220 cal