Cooking Level: Intermediate
Vegan Mushroom Black Bean Rotini
(Featuring cashews and nutritional yeast)
I am not a big pasta gal especially because a lot of times it involves a heavy carb load (leg day might help there). When I came across organic black bean pasta, I knew immediately that I will have my first pasta meal in a year tonight. This simple and quick recipe is filled with fiber, plant-based protein and one serving size only requires 50 grams of rotini. I love mushrooms as they provide an umami flavor to any recipe and and are a major source of vitamins and minerals. So how is this pasta so cheesy without having cheese? All thanks to our vegan source of Vitamin B12 - nutritional yeast! Nutritional yeast is an inactive form of yeast so it doesn’t grow like the yeast we use in baking and it totally tastes like cheese!
This rotini is totally:
Mushrooms: I used organic Baby Bella mushrooms for this recipe however any mushrooms will work. Always try to opt in for organic mushrooms since many times, there will be some soil residue especially if you don’t want to rinse them.
Black Bean Rotini: I used Trader Joe’s brand. You can also use zucchini noodles in this recipe.
Green Peas: I recommend using fresh peas for this recipe to reduce sweating produced by frozen ones.
Milk: I used unsweetened coconut milk for this recipe but you can use your preferred choice as long as its unsweetened and unflavored.
Recipe makes: 4 servings
1 cup cashews (soaked for about 6 hours or overnight)
1/2 cup + 2 TBS unsweetened coconut milk
6 TBS nutritional yeast
Pinch of sea salt to taste
200 g black bean rotini
8 oz baby bella mushrooms
1 1/2 cup green peas
1 medium red onion
2 garlic coves finely chopped
3 TBS avocado oil
Sea salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1. Drain soaked cashews and rinse.
2. Blend cashews, nutritional yeast, and milk in a high speed blender. Add a few more tablespoons of nutritional yeast for a more cheesy flavor and/or more milk if sauce is too thick.
3. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
4. Heat a large frying pan over medium head. Add avocado oil, onions and garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
5. Add mushrooms and cook for about 6 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated. Mushrooms will turn golden brown.
6. Turn heat down to medium low and add green peas. Cook for 1 minute and season with salt and pepper.
7. Turn off heat and add pasta and cashew cream. Toss very gently.
Calories per serving:
Pasta w/ cashew cream: 570 kcal